Sunday, September 5, 2010

THE TAME BIRD AND THE FREE BIRD

Rabindranath Tagore

The tame bird was in a cage; the free bird was in the forest.

They met when the time came; it was a decree of fate.

The free bird cries. “Oh my love, let us fly to the woods.”

The caged bird whispers “Come here, let us both settle in a cage.”

Says the free bird, “Among the bars, where is the room to spread one’s wings?”

“Alas,” cries the caged bird, “I should not know where to sit perched in the skies.”

The free bird cries, “My darling, sing the songs of the woodlands.”

The caged bird says, “Sit by my side; I’ll teach you the speech I learned.”

The forest bird cries, “No, ah no! Songs can never be taught.”

The caged bird says, “Alas for me, I know not the songs of the woodlands.”

Their love is intense with longing, but they never can fly wing to wing.

Through the bars of the cage they look, and vain is their wish to know each other.

They flutter their wings in yearning and sing, “Come close, my love!”

The caged bird whispers, “Alas, my wings are powerless and dead.

4 comments:

  1. They would do anything to get to know or see each other

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad because although they love each other they cannot be together, they are the same bird but they grew in different environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a really cute about how two birds that grew up in not the same place but they still love each other but it is sad cause the other bird is tamed and the other isn't they can't see each other because the other one stays in the cage and the other does not stay in a cage they have different ways to live that is why they can't love each other

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are cute together but the other one leave in the forest.And the one bird leave in a cage.

    ReplyDelete